Silver Bodycon Dress
“H-How long have you been standing there?” Taylor gulped.
“How could
you!” Jamie turned and left the room.
Taylor ran
after Jamie, out into the hall. “You must’ve misunderstood me.”
Jamie
stopped. “I’m pretty sure I didn’t.”
“That was…
That was just a friend.”
“Sure it
was.” A beat.
“How long
has this been going on?”
“How long
has what been going on? Nothing’s
been going on, Jamie.” Taylor straightened up. “Stop being so paranoid.”
“So you
were just going to meet this friend
at home alone? At this hour?”
“They’re
having trouble sleeping. I’m just trying to help. You’re being insecure.”
Jamie
started pacing. “I’m being insecure? Are you fucking kidding me?”
Jamie threw
their hands in the air. “They had to call you over if they can’t sleep? Come
on. Listen to music, take a pill, go for a damn walk. Make it make sense!”
“You’ve
gone to a friend’s house when it was late, too. What’s the big deal?”
“That was
my best friend, Tay. And her father
had just died.”
“And you
were trying to help. I didn’t accuse
you of anything, then.” Taylor sneered.
“That was
completely different, and you know
it.” Jamie collapsed on the couch, looking deflated.
Taylor sat
down and traced a hand along Jamie’s cheek. “Come on, baby. You know I’d never
cheat on you. You’re my one and only.”
Jamie sighed. “I… I don’t know.”
Taylor
gently placed a hand on Jamie’s thigh. “Trust me, baby.”
The clock
ticked loudly, painfully slow. “O-Okay. I’m sorry.”
A kiss on
the cheek. “That’s my baby!” Taylor returned to the bedroom.
Jamie’s
shoulders slumped. Maybe Taylor was
right. I’m just too paranoid.
**
“Baby.
Baby!” Taylor called from the shower.
Jamie
rushed in. “What is it?”
“Could you
grab me a towel?”
“Fine.” Jamie
went into Taylor’s walk-in wardrobe, clothes all neatly arranged by colour, the
nicer ones hung up in plastic.
As Jamie reached
for a towel from the top rack, a high stack of sweaters fell over.
“Damn it.” Jamie
made to bend down to pick them up, but saw something in the darkness at the
back of the wardrobe.
A phone.
Was it
Taylor’s? Why is it back here?
Jamie looked
back to the bathroom. Taylor was belting Evanescence, a little out of tune.
The phone lit
up. Jamie pulled it out.
There were
texts. One after another.
I miss you.
I love you.
Last night was amazing.
When can I see you again?
Jamie read the messages, heart pounding. Again. Then again. What the fuck is this?
“Hey, baby?
Can I get that towel? Today, please?”
Startled, Jamie
threw the phone back on the rack, hastily stuffed the sweaters on top of it. “Yeah,
yeah, coming!” But Jamie’s voice broke.
Handing the
towel to Taylor through the door, Jamie took a deep breath. Stay calm. “Here.”
“Finally.
Thanks.” Taylor snatched it off Jamie’s hands.
Jamie
turned to leave, gripped knuckles turning white, as Taylor continued singing
off-key.
**
Taylor
opened the front door. A pile of Jamie’s bags sat by the entryway, silently
judging.
“Jamie? What’s
going on?” Taylor stormed in.
Jamie looked
up from the couch. Their eyes locked. “You tell me.”
“What are
you talking about?”
“Tell me I’m
imagining things.”
Taylor
remained silent.
“Go on. Tell
me again that I’m being paranoid.” Jamie’s arms crossed.
“Well, you
are! Obsessing about that again? I told you, that was a friend!” Taylor’s voice
rose, becoming screechy.
“If it was
just a friend, why do you have another phone? Why are you texting someone else ‘I
love you’?”
A pause. “What
did you say?”
“I found
your other phone. The one you’ve been using to talk to your friend.”
Taylor’s
eyes narrowed. “Have you been going through my stuff?”
“No, I was
just—”
“That’s a violation of my privacy!” Taylor’s jaw tightened, hands curled around the vase on the coffee table.
CRASH. Glass
shattered, flowers and water sliding down the wall to the ground. “How dare
you?”
Jamie cried
out. “Stop that! You—”
“How can I
trust you now? You’re an asshole!” Taylor’s eyes were wide, hands flailed.
Trust.
Jamie took
a deep breath. “Seriously? Wow. Just… wow.”
“Wow, what?”
“You’re
turning this on me? Like it’s my fault?”
“You
shouldn’t be looking through my things. So what if I have another phone? It’s
for work. If you’re going to be so fucking suspicious all the time…”
The rest of
what Taylor said was lost on Jamie. It didn’t matter, not anymore.
Jamie stood
up abruptly. Taylor’s eyebrows raised.
“I’m done,
Tay. Really done.”
“Oh, come
on, Jamie. You always make it so fucking difficult. Let’s just talk.”
But
something in Jamie’s eyes made Taylor shut her mouth. “I-I… Jamie?”
Jamie made
his way to his bags.
He thought
of all the laughs, the jokes, the good times together. Their plans for the
future.
He shook
his head.
“Goodbye,
Tay,” he said, without looking back.
He didn’t know if she cried or tried to stop him. He didn’t care. No more.
As he
opened the door onto the porch and to his freedom, he heaved a huge sigh and
looked up at the starry sky.
I did it.
He wondered
when she’d realise the holes he’d cut in all of her clothes—including her favourite
silver bodycon mini dress.
He smiled. Feels fucking good.
-THE END-
(C) Copyright Lisa Kwan 2026
AUTHOR'S NOTE: Part of my creative writing project. For this piece, wanted to specifically work on dialogue writing technique. Started with a random first-line dialogue:
"H-How long have you been standing there?"
Comments